Are you looking for great Miami food and wine? Dine with us and make your selection from our 94 Points or Higher Wine Selection. Our lunch, brunch, and dinner menu is filled with options that pair well with our wide wine variety. Wine connoisseurs and beginners alike will discover something new from our selection. If you’re wondering what to know about wines, we have a few wine fun facts that you’ll find interesting.
Fun Facts About Wine
Both veterans and newbies can learn a few wine facts that they may not have known. Since wine has been popular for centuries, there have been a number of improvements, developments, and innovations that have created the wine we all love and enjoy today. Most people are aware that wine is produced in a number of regions and countries around the world. Certain countries are more popular than others for wine production and many are pioneers for many of the most affluent wineries. Here are a few wine fun facts to impress your friends and family at the next gathering:
- Oldest winery in the world – Did you know that the oldest winery in the world can be found in the caves of Armenia? Estimated to be 6,100 years old, this centuries old winery was discovered between 2007 and 2010. It contained a cup, fermentation jars, press and bowl, and was likely used to produce gallons for funerals. The oldest active winery and one of the oldest companies in the world is located in Germany!
- Oldest wine bottle – You’ll find the oldest wine bottle in Germany with liquid still in it! It is known as the Speyer bottle and is said to be made by Roman settlers between 325 AD and 350 AD. When discovered in a tomb in the 19th century, it was nestled amongst other bottles that had not been opened. As one of the only bottles that had been opened, it can be found in the Historical Museum of Palatinate in Speyer. Although wine is consistently linked to the Greeks and Romans, the Phoenicians have been credited with spreading the wine love across the Mediterranean!
- Largest consumer of wine – Can you guess who the largest consumer of wine is in the world. The Vatican has been identified as the largest wine consumer per capita which is almost double the Italians and French. With less than 1,000 residents, 74 liters a year are consumed by the Vatican population which consists mostly of elderly and highly educated constituents. Wine is often a fixture of religious ceremonies.
- Red wine health benefits – Drinking red wine is good for you. One of the best and most useful fun wine facts is that red wine is great for your health. It is known for being very high in antioxidants and a great addition to a home remedy for the common cold. You may have already heard that drinking red wine keeps the heart healthy and lowers bad cholesterol. It is popular for regulating blood sugar and keeping the memory sharp. As the saying goes, all things in moderation.
- Fear of wine – One of the least known fun facts about wine includes a phobia. There are individuals around the world who have a condition known as oenophobia, which is a fear of wine. The term is derived from the Greek word oenos, which means wine. A common reason for individuals who fear wine is that it contains alcohol. The potential effects of intoxication can cause an irrational and paralyzing fear. The idea of losing self control or possibly vomiting is too much for some people.
- Storing wine – Did you know that the appropriate way to store wine is laying it down? You may be familiar with seeing wine cellars with racks of wine laid on its side. When wine bottles are stored upright, the cork can get dried out and possibly erode into the wine. When dry corks shrivel up, they allow air into the wine causing it to prematurely age. Many people believe that most wines are meant to be aged but this is not so. According to wine experts, only about 10% of wines are meant to be aged and others are meant to be consumed within 5 years.
- Oldest wine cellar – Can you guess where the oldest wine cellar is located? It can be found on the Titanic. When divers explored the ship wreckage, they discovered wine bottles that were still intact.
- Pairing of wine – There is a general and easy rule to use when pairing wine. The heavier the dish, the richer the wine should be. You’ll find red wines served with red meat and white, or lighter wines served with chicken, fish, and pork. Sweeter wines like moscato or sparkling wine are often served with desserts.
- Women forbidden to drink wine – According to early Roman law, women who drank wine were considered to be committing a crime. Women were considered to be weak and wine could expose them to danger. If women were caught, they could be sentenced to death. It was so extreme that at Roman parties, the closest individuals were permitted to kiss the women on the lips to detect alcohol. Husbands were permitted to kill their wives if they were caught with alcohol. Yikes!
- The most expensive bottle of wine – For many wine connoisseurs, it is considered a valuable investment. One lucky wine estate owner bought a bottle of wine for over $550,000. It was an ultra rare vintage selection from Burgundy that was purchased for 17 times more than the auctioneer’s estimate. This wine was so coveted that a few minutes later, another bottle was purchased for almost $500,000. Burgundy wines are considered valuable collectables and the most sought after wine in the world. The 1945 vintage is infamous since only 600 bottles were made and the grapevines were pulled for two years to be replanted.
Some other wine fun facts include women being identified as superior wine tasters! Both American and Brazilian researchers have confirmed that women have more cells in their brains than men, giving them an advantage as wine tasters. Also, recent research on wine facts have shown that women have better judgement for specific characteristics of wine! Now, you can impress people at dinner parties with what to know about wines.
When you’re looking for the best Miami food and wine combination, you’ll find it here! With so many promotions, you have a number of options for exploring new wines! Consider what to know about wines when making your selection. When you visit on Mondays after a long day of work, you’ll appreciate our half priced bottles of wine. Make plans Monday through Friday for our Happy Hour specials featuring half priced wine, cocktails and beer, and $10 sushi rolls. Our Live Jazz Thursdays are never complete with a good bottle of wine.
Using our fun facts about wine, we have an exquisite selection of wines waiting to be explored. From the prestigious Napa Valley wineries to the famed Tuscany brand, you’ll find wine steeped in rich history and fruity aromas from our 94 Points or Higher Selection. When you’re looking for something more casual, you can find exceptional choices in rose, white, red, and sparkling on tap.
Give us a call today to reserve your table for the best in wine and American cuisine!