We love all different types of sushi rolls and we know you do too! Although there are a number of popular sushi rolls like the California Roll, Dragon Roll, Tiger Roll, and Spicy Salmon. But there’s a whole world out there of the best sushi rolls just waiting to be discovered by you! It’s time to expand your taste buds and explore other types of sushi rolls you’ve never had before. Since we have a sushi menu, we know a thing or two about must-try sushi and can make a few informed recommendations.
Types of Sushi Rolls You Should Try
You may have had some of these types of sushi rolls and others may be new to you! There’s nothing better than trying something new for a foodie and we have plenty of dishes to explore. If you’re new to sushi, this list is a great place to start. The basics of sushi include seaweed, also referred to as nori, sushi rice, fish, rice vinegar, caviar, cream cheese and a vegetable like cucumber, carrot, or avocado. Not all of these ingredients are included in all rolls and sometimes the fish is cooked with additional tangy and delicious sauces added for flavor. It really depends on the types of sushi rolls you choose. Here’s a few we recommend to try:
- Dragon Roll – This is a tasty favorite for many sushi lovers because it contains cooked eel. For first time sushi explorers, it is a great starter since the fish is cooked and smothered in delicious sauces. The eel in the Dragon roll is usually warm and blends wonderfully with the sticky rice and nari. Eel is formally known as unagi and is a very common ingredient in Japanese dishes. We love the rich, bold flavor it brings to the best sushi rolls.
We have the Dragon Roll! It’s made with tempura shrimp, spicy tuna, avocado, tobiko, scallions, nori, and spicy mayo. You’ll love this one!
- Spicy Crunch Roll – This is one of the most popular sushi rolls! The Spicy Crunch roll often contains tuna, avocado, shrimp tempura and avocado. This sushi roll gets its crunch from tenkasu, or tempura flakes. We have a few options on our sushi menu for you to choose from, including our Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice Roll and the Spicy Tuna Roll. Our Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice Roll is made with crispy rice, tuna tartare, chilli oil, scallions, and sesame seeds. The Spicy Tuna Roll includes tuna tartare, chilli oil, ginger, sesame oil, crispy tempura, nori, eel sauce, and spicy mayo. We bet you can’t eat just one!
- Tiger Roll – Another one of the more popular sushi rolls, the Tiger Roll is made with avocado, crab, and fried shrimp. The crispiness of the fried shrimp blends perfectly well with the smoothness of the avocado and the freshness of the crab. This is also a great sushi roll for first time explorers.
- Volcano Roll – Sushi veterans unite! The Volcano Roll is one of the most delicious and popular sushi rolls on the menu for its combination of avocado, crab, albacore, salmon, bonito flakes, and savory sauces that are baked to perfection. If this is your first time eating sushi, this is a roll you’ll want to add to your evening.
- Popcorn Zarigani Roll – If you love tuna, you’ll love the Popcorn Zarigani Roll made with spicy tuna and tempura crawfish. This is one of the lesser known rolls so this is a great one to explore. Your stomach will thank you for it!
- Alaska Roll – Why do we love Alaska Rolls? These simple and popular sushi rolls are made with avocado, salmon, crab, and masago, also known as a capelin fish. It is rolled in panko and deep fried for a crispy finish. We are in support of any deep fried sushi rolls we can get our hands on!
Best Sushi Roll Main Ingredients
The best sushi rolls have a few consistent ingredients. If you’re new to sushi, you’ll notice variations in the fish, sauces, and spiciness used for each roll. Some fish will be cooked like fried shrimp or unagi but much of sushi is the freshness and tenderness of raw fish. Below are a few elements of sushi to be familiar with:
- Nori – We can talk about the joy of nori all day but we’ll keep it brief in this post! This edible seaweed is a staple in Japanese dishes and is made from a particular species of red algae. It is dried or toasted and is used for snacking, seasoning, or sushi. You may have seen seaweed snacks in your local supermarket. Nori has become a widely popular and healthy alternative to other popular snack products.
- Sushi rice – The rice used for sushi is called meshi and is the star of the show in Japanese cuisine. It is not the same as sticky rice and is made specifically for sushi. It is made using rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Some seaweed is often added for flavor.
- Fish – Different types of sushi rolls will contain different types of fish. The most popular fish used is salmon, tuna, shrimp, crab, freshwater eel, mackerel, halibut, squid, and yellowtail. There are a number of other varieties of fish that are used including tilapia and calamari. Sometimes it will be cooked but the majority is served fresh and raw. It is meant to melt in your mouth and eaten in whole pieces.
- Rice vinegar – This ingredient is included in the making of meshi and comes from fermented rice in Southeast Asia. It is a popular ingredient in Asian cooking and a number of varieties exist on the market. Depending on the type of rice vinegar used, some ingredients that may be included are orange peel, ginger, cloves, and sugar.
- Caviar – Fish eggs don’t have to be intimidating. When added to a sushi roll, they are delightful. Sushi caviar is called capelin roe is usually an orange color. Roe can be added on top of the sushi roll or packed in the seaweed with the rice, vegetables, and fish. It is a very common ingredient in some of the best sushi rolls and is an optional garnishment.
We Have Popular Sushi Rolls
Are you ready to try our popular sushi rolls? We thought so! If you like spicy food, you’ll want to try our Jalapeno Hamachi Roll made with hamachi, scallions, jalapeno, ponzu sauce, and sesame seed. Our Salmon Crab Roll is another favorite made with wild salmon, crab salad, cucumber, avocado, eel sauce, spicy mayo, and crispy tempura.
The best time to enjoy different types of sushi rolls is during Happy Hour Monday through Friday! Join us for half priced wine, cocktails, beer, and $10 sushi rolls. Bring a friend and indulge in our entire sushi menu and try something new. Another great way to enjoy sushi is during our Live Jazz Thursdays. We create a relaxed ambiance of good food, good drinks, and good music all night long.
Are you celebrating a special occasion like a birthday, anniversary, or graduation? We have flexible accommodations for private parties with adjusted seating to meet your needs. For those evenings you don’t want to cook, we can accommodate as well. Our take out menu is full of dishes that can be delivered or picked up at your convenience.
Give us a call and reserve your table or venue today!