Making a molten chocolate cake is easier than you think! For those moments you are craving chocolate cake or looking for a simple lava cake recipe you can share at a spring BBQ, we have you covered. These crowd pleasers only need 6 ingredients without the use of a mixer and a fast bake time with no cooling needed. If that’s not evidence of a simple lava cake recipe, then we don’t know what is!
Simple Molten Lava Cake Recipe
Our desert menu features a delicious Molten Chocolate Cake made with dark chocolate, French sea salt, and vanilla citrus whipped cream. It’s a wonderful way to end an evening with your significant other or a night out with friends. When you want to bring this recipe to your home kitchen, this molten chocolate cake will satisfy your sweet tooth. Best of all, you will be able to enjoy it for a couple days. We should caution that you may not have any left if you share with others. Here’s how to prepare this sweet treat:
- 6 ounces of high quality semi – sweet chocolate
- ½ cup of confectioners sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Ice cream, chocolate syrup, and raspberries for optional topping
- Phase 1: Using a muffin pan or ramekin (preferred), use nonstick cooking spray on the pan and dust with cocoa powder to prevent the cakes sticking. If you’re using a muffin pan, spray half since the recipe yields six.
- Phase 2: Make sure to preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Phase 3: Now chop the semi sweet chocolate into coarse pieces, add the butter to a medium bowl, and heat both in the microwave for 10 increments on high. In between heating, stir until smooth and set aside.
- Phase 4: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar, flour, and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks and eggs. Next, combine the flour mixture, eggs, and chocolate together, slowly stirring using a spatula until smooth and thick.
- Phase 5: Using the ramekins, spoon out the chocolate mixture into each section and place the pan on a baking sheet in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes until the sides look solid. If you’re using a muffin pan, it’ll take slightly less time at 8 – 10 minutes.
- Phase 6: Let the pan cool for at least a minute and flip over using a plate to loosen and release the cakes. If you’re using a muffin pan, you’ll need to use a spoon.
- Phase 7: If you prefer optional toppings like us, add and serve. Enjoy!
Molten Chocolate Cake Sidenotes
There are a few trips and tricks that will make this lava cake recipe even easier to make. After all, you’re not trying to spend all day in the kitchen! Here a few preparation suggestions that will help you make this simple recipe faster:
- Freeze – Preparing the dough and freezing it ahead of time is a great way to cut down on the time needed to prepare this recipe. We recommend sealing and refrigerating the dough for up to two days before you’re ready to make it. Before you begin to work with the dough, allow it to warm up to room temperature. Once the cakes are baked, they can be frozen for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat them, they can be reheated in the microwave after thawing. We’re pretty sure they won’t last that long but you can try!
- Tools – The tools you should have on hand for any molten lava cake recipe include muffin pan, ramekins, whisk, mixing bowls, and Bakers chocolate.
- Chocolate – While many of the ingredients are very simple, they should be of high quality, especially the chocolate. When you’re trying to achieve the “lava” effect, chocolate chips just won’t cut it. Using high quality chocolate from brands like Ghirardellis, Bakers, Lindt, or Nestle found in your local grocery store baking aisle are the best options for this recipe. You’ll find them in four ounce bars so you’ll need 1 ½ bars.
- Eggs – This recipe calls for a couple of whole eggs and egg yolks. When using eggs in baking, it’s important to ensure that they are thoroughly cooked. For this recipe, they should be fully cooked at 160 degrees for up to 14 minutes. If you are unsure and want to double check, use a thermometer to check the temperature.
This chocolaty recipe is said to have been made popular in New York City as a simple recipe of sugar, eggs, flour, chocolate, and butter. While our lava cake recipe calls for the use of ramekins or muffin tins, a number of variations exist using brioche molds, coffee, and tea mugs. Mint is also used as a garnish.
Molten Lava Cake Recipe Variations
While there are a number of different molds that are used, the garnishments and fillings may vary. For instance, you may see a chocolate lava cake filled with strawberries, lemon, caramel, or orange flavoring. You’ve likely seen this at fast food restaurants as part of their desert menu. They’ve become increasingly popular since they are so simple to make and can be stored in the freezer for a few months.
Also referred to as moelleux, which is French for “soft”, a chocolate lava cake is a cross between a cake and a souffle. It first became widely popular in upscale restaurants and spread throughout the US in different forms and included in cookbooks. You may have seen them in the frozen desserts section of your local grocery store. You’ll also find other versions like eggless, flourless, vegan, and those made with dark chocolate like our lava cake recipe.
The best thing about making molten lava cakes is that you don’t have to be an experienced baker for them to come out delicious. The simplicity of the process and ingredients makes this an easy dessert for everyone to enjoy and make at home. When you want to get fancy and experiment, you can add a tablespoon of coffee, vanilla extract, cinnamon, or salt.
Try Our Chocolate Lava Cake
Are you celebrating a special occasion? Consider spending it with us and taking advantage of our many promotional specials we know you’d appreciate. Starting on Mondays, join us for Half Priced Bottles of Wine. There are many desert wines that would pair well with molten lava cake that you would enjoy. Come back on Wednesday for Half Priced Whiskey after 5pm for a midweek recharge. You’ll love our Live Jazz Band nights on Thursdays featuring local acts. Every Monday through Friday you can enjoy Happy Hour with half priced wine, signature cocktails, beer, and $10 sushi rolls.
Are you curious about our desert menu? We have a number of sweet treats including our famous Key Lime Pie made with key lime custard and Italian meringue on a toasted nut crust. For those in the mood for something different, we have Carrot Cake and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. All deserts are complementary to our main lunch and dinner courses. When you’d like to book a private event, our flexible event seating arrangements can be adjusted for both seated and cocktail. Our goal is to encourage community over a great meal and we look forward to serving you soon.
Give us a call to reserve your table or private venue today!